The idea is simple, using Terraform for automatisations, and here are the steps
On turn on
- Create OS Disk from Snapshot (much less expensive that to keep a full SSD Disk)
- Create a preemptible instance from that OS Disk
- Mount Data disk
On turn off
- Create the snapshot of OS if needed
- Free all resources
This setup gives me a very low cost (almost free) when I’m not running the instance. This works if thoses steps as fast enought and worth the waiting time.
This is where OVH Cloud got it wrong for my case.
- It took more than 15 minutes to generate the 10Go snapshot !
- Creating an instance is almost as long.
- Every hour start is an hour paid.
There is no way that I’m willing to wait 15 minutes to start use my instance that is not really cheap with the hour stuff. It’s a shame for the not so expensive GPU. Did I missed something ? But as far as I test, this will not be for me.