Sync and Backup Obsidian Vault with Azure filesObsidian
This is a quick setup that I am trying right now. I am a Cloud Operator and DevOps, and use Obsidian as a primary note taking app. This trick is a very inexpensive, synchronization and backup option between devices.
Azure files has some SMB capabilities with nice backup and snapshot solutions. You don't specify the size of the capacity of the storage before but only on the usage. This mean you will pay only for your vault size, no more.
My vaults are text only, I do not use it for PDF and only little pictures. This allows me to keep a light vault. With a vault size lighter that 100Mo, this will cost less than 0.01$ a month. I'll not post a full how-to but here is some small steps to reproduce the setup.
- Get an Azure account, if you don’t have one, you can try one for free for a month.
- You need to setup what they call a storage account, this is like a place holder for multiple storage type. (No charges) Choose Locally-reduduant storage (LRS) or you will not be able to enable the NFS capability. Make sure to enable network file system v3 on the Advanced tab (enable hirarchical namespace for that). You might want to restrict public access to your IP adresses only.
- Add a "File shares", this will be your SMB that you will mount on your device. You might change the Quota for "1 Gib" to make sure that you will not push to many files. You will be charge only on the actual size, not the Quota.
- On your new file shares click "Connect", this will give you scripts on Windows or Linux with keys that you will execute to mount your files. This will behave like a external storage.
- You will be charges for network bandwidth, but you have 100Gib free every month.
- Activate versioning, backup or snapshots as needed in case you will accidentally erase all your content, you'll have a safe backup solution.
This is a very easy way to setup some nice sync and backup solution on Obsidian. Hope It can help.
You might want to check this alternative that I wrote using syncthings.